Dr. Klaus Kostka
Since 25 years, Klaus Kostka is specialized on maritime and marine insurance law as well as aviation, road transport and logistics law. He regularly represents German and foreign ship owners, ship managers and marine insurers in contentious and non-contentious matters as well as in the handling of casualties. Apart from that, developers and manufacturers of ship´s equipment, ship and insurance brokers as well as international freight forwarders form his client base.
- Representing the Federal Republic of Germany, several insurers and re-insurers in connection with the midair collision of two airplanes over Überlingen in 2002 and the resulting lengthy legal disputes.
- Representing a German ship-owner in the cancellation of shipbuilding contracts with a Chinese shipyard and the ensuing enforcement of claims against the shipyard and refund guarantors (total volume: exceeding 100 mio. US $).
- Advising and representing clients in relation to various major marine and commercial insurance matters, including cover disputes.
- Drafting and negotiating the Charter Party for an accommodation vessel for refugees on behalf of the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg.
- Drafting and negotiating project and consortia agreements for a manufacturer of central component parts for innovative LNG-propulsion systems for ships.
- Klaus Kostka “always works diligently“ (Legal500, 2016)
- Recommended is… Klaus Kostka, who is regarded as “a real good lawyer” among competitors. (Legal500, 2015)
- “Even if my insurance company has a different preference, I always insist on using Klaus Kostka, which is accepted by the insurers because he´s well known in the shipping community.” (Chambers & Partners, 2016)
- Klaus Kostka acts on shipping disputes involving contracts and insolvency. He receives compliments for his solid grasp of the law and his ability to find practical solutions to problems. (Chambers & Partners, 2017)
- Klaus Kostka is listed amongst “Germany’s best lawyers 2017” in the areas of insurance-, maritime, transportation and commercial law. (Handelsblatt 2017, 2015 and 2013)
- "Flagship" team member Klaus Kostka is widely acclaimed for his shipping dispute skills, garnering particular market respect for his arbitration expertise. Clients applaud his quick work and his "precise, commercial approach." He regularly represents shipowners and insurers in high-stakes cross-border proceedings. (Chambers & Partners, 2017)