Axel Salander is admitted as a Rechtsanwalt (Hamburg) and a solicitor (England and Wales). He specializes in handling English and German maritime and commercial law disputes. In terms of maritime law this covers mainly P&I, admiralty and dry shipping matters, including disputes under charter parties and contracts of carriage, as well as shipbuilding and repair contracts. Axel also advises manufacturers and engineering companies in drafting and negotiating commercial contracts relating to off-shore and shipping projects as well as general commercial matters. Axel handles disputes subject to English or German law in the English and German courts as well as arbitration in England, Germany and other major arbitration venues.
- Instructed by cargo insurers and assured to deal with multijurisdictional disputes arising out of major fire on board a ro-ro vessel;
- Handling arbitration proceedings and handling investigation relating to decomposition of cargo causing major damage;
- Conducting series of arbitration proceedings in Hamburg and London relating to description of multi-purpose vessels;
- Revising contract conditions and templates for newly acquired subsidiary of international manufacturing company;
- Advising major off-shore contractors as well as energy group in respect of various off-shore wind park projects;
- “Axel Salander provides a distinguished service to his clients in shipping litigation and arbitration, and specializes in charter party disputes and the arrest of vessels. Clients describe him as "target-oriented and commercially aware," and add: "He has a very calming way about him, it's very comforting to have him around. He's a great networker and you feel in very good hands with him."” (Chambers & Partners, 2018)
- „Axel Salander has a ‘high competence in charterparty law“ (Legal 500, 2016)
- „Axel Salander is frequently recommended“ (JUVE 2013)
- Axel Salander is mentioned 10th most influential lawyer 2015 (Lloyd´s List, 2016)
- Axel Salander is “FINANCE MONTHLY GLOBAL AWARDS 2014 WINNER Maritime & Shipping Lawyer of the Year Germany”.
- Axel Salander advises on a variety of shipping mandates ranging from transactions to disputes, including charter party conflicts and engineering contracts. He chiefly advises offshore companies and cross-border corporations. Clients admire his dedication to the project at hand, combined with his strong interpersonal skills. (Chambers & Partners, 2017)